Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Conclusion to Kozol

Here is my conclusion to Kozol, I didn't realize it was required for the first post.

I found Kozol's style of writing to be much easier to follow than Johnson and Delpit's writings. "Amazing Grace" changed my outlook on how I look at life. I was shocked to learned the daily struggles of the people in Mott Haven. It's unfortunate because we tend to dwell on things that are so minor compared to the way these people suffer daily. It made me feel sorry for them, because we take a lot of things for granted.

It shocked me to see Cliffie's point of view. He seemed to be so grown up for his age. It seemed to me like he knew too much for a boy his age. I would never think a child would be so carefree about witnessing a shooting. If a child was to witness something similar to this in my neighborhood i am positive that they would cry and be an emotional wreck.

This town clearly needs help but no one seems to care enough to reach out. As i mentioned in the first post, Mott Haven is only shown the bad. If they had a mixture of social classes they would have more influential figures. Therefore, they would set better goals for themselves and eventually grow as individuals and as a town.

2 comments:

  1. Cliffie talks like he's an adult. It was unbelievable to hear how mature he was. But, think of all of the experiences he must have had growing up in such a poor town the way it was described. From the conversations Kozol had with Cliffie and his mother, it sounds like he has the responsibility to take care of himself and his mother. That's probably one of the major reasons why he's so mature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you reposted on Kozol with some final thoughts. How did our class discussion help influence you here?

    LB :)

    ReplyDelete